Monday, 21 October 2013

Willow Manor Ball postscript

The morning after....

Sipping a peppery Chef Dominic concoction of his culinary version of the 'hair of the dog', I sit with our lovely hostess, Tess, and her charming guest of honour, Ronaldo, to watch the sunrise over the Scioto.
It was great fun spying our Vinnie dancing with the library skeleton he'd earlier shared a ciggie with, such antics reminding me of my own recovering Bertie back home. Bertie, BTW, just texted that his neck brace was now off and he was presently ducking from Nursey who'd been chasing him around the estate trying to place it back on him. Best of luck to you, Nursey!

Jeeves is still with me, he too confiding how much fun he'd had mostly at winning several hands at the poker table, which had been set up for kitchen staff as the ball's festivities dwindled into the wee hours. 

As I gingerly drink my Genever, a tall Dutch gin with added lemon juice, sugar, egg white and soda, I appreciate the shot of yolk also presented me by kitchen wait staff. This is simply served on a half-shell with the added dash of vinegar, salt and pepper to taste – such a far cry from Bertie’s bon vivant mash-up…and much more ‘morning after’ palatable, I might add. With this down my gullet, I continue to recall last evening’s pleasantries with Tess and company, appreciating mostly her fine taste in a rather eccentric but highly entertaining venue of music, song and dance. I had no idea she could whistle like that, her talents never ceasing to amaze, amuse and delight.
Ronaldo too – how he’d captured the limelight with his fado, a song his mother had once sung him as a child. So touching and sad! Seamus Heaney churred a bit of chorus line, being highly excitable by provocations of home. This unfortunately sounded to our ears more like an oratory cacophony of forest-in-the-night sounds - bless him.
We all know badgers simply can't carry a tune.


Well, I see Jeeves is signalling me that it's that time again, time to wish all my friends—new and old—adieu and tot ziens. It’s a fond farewell to you all before I’m chauffeured off to Port Columbus and catch my flight back across the waters. I've brought with me some of Holland’s finest tulip bulbs to plant for the spring…and, of course, Belgian chocolates – to present to you, dear Tess.

Thanks a million for yet another year’s success of the Willow Manor Ball. Till we meet again everyone!
– Shers Gallagher


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So looking forward to it, Capitan. And bring the fetching brunette with you next time. Though she trifles we shall forgive her. ;)

      Delete
  2. To Most Favored Nobel Prize (past) Winner Shers Gallagher

    You likely did not see me. but before meeting the Lady Tess, I, as always. jumped right into the fray of entertainment and risk-taking games. How did you ever construct a BUNGEE CHALLENGE on the estate? Well, first in line was Fiddle-Man, next was moi, whose function was "porteuse d'étui à violon"...As sure as you and I--(ahem), porter Stefan von Elsaesser--did not meet, I am in receipt of knowledge that you and Fiddle-Man did not have a moment to greet, either. Here is what happened:

    We each took the bungee jump at about 6 PM, right during the ahhhhh!, cock-tayles, and landed in an unconventional manner. As I recovered my senses, the next afternoon had sneaked in upon us...we tried to locate the festivities, but the (ugh!) Labor crews were already cleaning up, drinking warm liquid from half-filled (empty?) lead-laden glassware..
    Even today I am unsure whether we had a GREAT TIME...as has happened so often in my past.

    Next year we are hoping ("not hopping"--realize you are foreign-born!) the Bungee Jump will be located in a hidden valley somewhere. In fact it might have BEEN somewhere else, we're not certain at this time.

    LOVED the service on those helicopters!
    So good to meet with you--wait, we did NOT! Right?
    (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Steve, thank you so for the reminder of past glories. But you're far too modest, as you were even back then when playing with the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra on that special day so long ago. So, how could I forget you? That is, till all the watermelon champagne kicked in - LOL. Yet I remember thinking how last night's fiddling went so charmingly well with my flitting. Yes, indeed it was I who set up the bungee challenge. What was I thinking? Lady Tess was delighted, of course - new thrills for old money and all that hurrah...hurrah! The birthday girl bravely went first, then her charming companion and then her chef, which I thought rather bizarre as he'd just finished the cheese tray and was still working on the main course. But you know chefs - unique characters in their own right, I'd say. Yet it was you who talked me into taking the jump of my life! Ah me, I swear I lost all my cookies on that one. Oh, but I'd do it again and again. Shooting up in the air like a rocket was just brilliant, and I swear I saw all of Dublin that way. What a ball, eh?

      Delete
  3. I was a Ball indeed.....next year we will not be late.....be will always stay late

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! Too many martinis and a bumpy ride back home, but all well worth it! What a bash! Prying Uncle Vinnie loose from the library skeleton was a real feat , but I DID manage to get one foxtrot out of the old gent! You looked to be having fun dancing with the Captain! A romantic conquest or a flight of fancy?

    As for your morning after cocktail, I DO miss Dutch gin ... and your recipe would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Susan. Yes, our 'Jenever' [ye-nay-vir] commonly known as 'Genever' goes down a treat. As you may well know, the Dutch are into efficient simplicity. Thus, the fizz for the tummy with a little added perk-up and protein - LOLOL.
      And our dashing Captain was/is great fun. I equally adore his lovely wife too. So I wouldn't dare. No, no. Off limits, treasuring my head more than any 'flight of fancy'. ;-D

      Delete